On April 10, 1922, female employees of the Nebraska Power Company organized in the “rest room” (women’s break room) to hear a talk from the National Electric Light Association titled “Forty Years of Achievement.” The topic was the history of the electric light and power business.
The gathering was the beginning of what was then called the Women’s Division and is now called Energizers. In its current form, the Energizers are predominantly a group of current and retired OPPD employees who gather to share ideas and friendship and perform good deeds for the community.
At the time it was formed, the Women’s Division’s aim was to help women employees “become informed about the use of appliances, the value of electricity in the home and the industrial and political problems facing the utility company,” according to an article in the May 1922 issue of Flash employee magazine.
Now, OPPD employees of all kinds do work in the community and gain professional knowledge under any number of organizations, including those for retirees, engineers and women.