Would you know what to do if you came across downed power lines? OPPD’s number one priority is safety – for our customers and our employees. With that in mind, use these tips for safety around downed power lines.
NEVER touch a downed power line or go near one. Always assume the line is live and high voltage.
- Do not touch a fallen power line or anything touching the wire. This includes other people or equipment.
- Keep children and pets away from fallen electric wires.
- Do not drive over a fallen power line.
- Call OPPD at 1-800-554-6773 or 911 immediately to report a fallen power line.
Below is a video of an energized, downed wire.
Video clip of live wires down
In your vehicle
If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line…
- Stay inside! The safest place is in your car. Remember, the ground around your car may be energized.
- Honk the horn, roll down your window and yell for help.
- Warn others to stay away. Anyone who touches the equipment or ground around the vehicle may be injured.
- Use your mobile phone to call OPPD at 1-800-554-6773 or 911.
- OPPD workers will tell you when it is safe to exit your vehicle.
If there is a fire and you MUST exit a vehicle that has come in contact with downed power lines…
- Remove loose items of clothing.
- Keep your elbows at your side, clasp hands, and jump clear of the vehicle, so you are not touching the car when your feet hit the ground.
- Keep both feet close together and shuffle away from the vehicle without picking up your feet.
- Once you are at least 35 feet away, dial 911 and provide your exact location.